Remember when you were younger and danced by yourself, danced with your friends, danced with your boyfriend, danced with anybody?
Dancing. I’m talking about the joyous dancing that comes from turning on some music and letting it rip. I’m talking about the huffing and puffing, get a side ache and still keep dancing kind of dancing.
Somewhere along the line, we quit dancing. Oh, not all of us…some of us are still dancing. Either way, you know who you are.
Here’s my dirty little secret
I stopped dancing about six years ago. All of my life I have danced. With or without partners. In the bedroom or in the living room. In front of mirrors or
not in front of mirrors. With wild abandon or by practicing a certain style of dance.
I need to start dancing again, do you?
Here are just a few of the benefits of dancing.
- Dancing, along with music, can take us to another time and place. Use this to change your mood by selecting songs that represented a happier or more powerful time in your life. Example: I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor.
- You will feel joyous because dancing releases endorphins, the feel good chemical that’s produced by the body through exercise.
- Reduce your stress. It’s been proven that exercise reduces stress.
- Dancing can make exercise fun! Use dancing to stay or get fit.
- Dancing is great for your bones! Weight-bearing exercise helps to prevent osteoporosis.
- Dancing may prevent dementia.
- It can help you feel sexier.
- You will feel more confident and bolder.
- It’s fun!
Dancing is Easy
- You don’t have to know how to dance. Just move to the music.
- You don’t need a partner to dance.
- You need music to dance. From the speakers, the ear buds, or the music you hear in your head.
- You can dance in the privacy of your own home. Or even your bedroom.
- Pick two songs that always make you want to dance when you hear them. My two songs are I Got a Feeling, Black Eyed Peas and Dancing in the Street, Martha & The Vandellas.
- Find a place.
- Just do it!
- If you find yourself resisting, check out 6 Easy Ways to Get Unstuck.
I am going to put on some great dancing music and dance for at least one song every day! Care to join me? What songs will you dance to? Please let me know in the comments, below!
Songs to make you dance. A song sampler from Rhino records that you can play from your computer.
Women Who Dance is a fantastic ongoing photo project that explores and celebrates woman’s relationship with the body and self through dance.
Dance like nobody’s watching; love like you’ve never been hurt. Sing like nobody’s listening; live like it’s heaven on earth. – Mark Twain
Does my sexiness upset you? Does it come as a surprise, That I dance like I’ve got diamonds, At the meeting of my thighs? -Maya Angelou
I dance because I must. Because I choose to. Because it feeds my soul like nothing else. When I am dancing I feel alive. Completely alive in every dimension. Fully here. Thrilled. -Rachel
If you enjoyed this post, please share it with others:br>